PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION ACT coming up on the 15th – 16th of May 2019 at the Marine Parade Garden Court Hotel, Durban. Our Cape town event is at the Southern Sun, Waterfront on the 22nd – 23rd May 2019.
It is expected that the Protection of Personal Information Act will become effective during the course of 2019. This expectation is based on the fact that the POPIA Regulations were Gazetted in December 2018.
In terms of the POPIA, the CEO or equivalent officer of a private organisation is the Information Officer of the organisation. The duties and responsibilities of the Information Officer may be delegated to a Deputy Information Officer. The Regulations introduce specific responsibilities that an Information Officer must ensure occur within the organisation. These are that:
- a compliance framework is developed, implemented, monitored and maintained;
- a personal information impact assessment is done to ensure that adequate measures and standards exist in order to comply with the conditions for the lawful processing of personal information;
- a manual is developed, monitored, maintained and made available as prescribed in the Promotion of Access to Information Act
- internal measures are developed together with adequate systems to process requests for information and access thereto; and
- internal awareness sessions are conducted regarding the provisions of the POPIA.
Our two day workshop has been updated to include discussion, guidance and examples on the above regulatory requirements.
To register, kindly contact Ruth Mutiti.